Family businesses dominate the economies of the U.S. and developed countries, yet they fail at an alarming rate.
That’s why for over 20 years, many of the world’s most influential and important families have turned to ReGENERATION Partners to increase shareholder value and improve communication in their enterprises.
- The greatest part of America’s wealth lies with family-owned businesses. Family firms comprise 80% to 90% of all business enterprises in North America. (J.H. Astrachan and M.C. Shanker, “Family Businesses’ Contribution to the U.S. Economy: A Closer Look,” Family Business Review, September 2003)
- Family Owned Businesses contribute 64% of the GDP or $5,907 billion ($5+ trillion) and employ 62% of the U.S. workforce. (J.H. Astrachan and M.C. Shanker, “Family Businesses’ Contribution to the U.S. Economy: A Closer Look,” Family Business Review, September 2003)
- More than 30% of all family-owned businesses survive into the second generation. Twelve percent will still be viable into the third generation, with 3% of all family businesses operating at the fourth-generation level and beyond. (Joseph Astrachan, Ph.D., editor, Family Business Review)
- In a study of S&P 500 firms (Anderson and Reeb, 2003):
- 33.6% are family businesses in which the founding family has, on average, 18% of firm equity.
- Family firm performance is greater when founding families maintain an ownership stake.
- Young family firms and old family firms (50-year-old threshold) outperform non-family firms.
- ROA is greater in family businesses, with a 6.65% greater return than non-family firms.
- Families own for an average of 78 years.
- Family firm CEOs earn on average nearly 10% less than their non-family counterparts.
- The oldest Family Owned Business operating in the United States is the Zildjian Cymbal Co. of Norwood, MA. Founded in 1623 in Constantinople (Istanbul, Turkey) and moved with the family to the United States in 1929. (Family Business Magazine, Spring 2001)
- The oldest family owned business still operating as a family business is the Roykan Hoshi Hotel in Komatsu, Japan founded in 717.
Founded by James Olan Hutcheson, ReGENERATION Partners is one of the world’s premiere family business consulting groups. Their team has helped clients both strengthen their families and improve their business – regardless of their industry, situation, or complexity.
The ReGENERATION Partners team has serious business experience and yet understands the emotional component found only in the family business environment. Each member of our team have been educated in management as well as in family dynamics. Some are clinically trained with extensive practical experience in business settings.
ReGENERATION Partners’ core team has an extensive network of field specialists (i.e. accountants, valuation experts, addiction doctors, financial consultants, etc.) who can be tapped for an engagement to help resolve a client’s family business issues as needed.
Through this rare combination of academic training and personal, senior-level family business management and leadership experience, the professionals at ReGENERATION Partners help clients address critical issues before they become problems. This ensures strong, consistent growth and prosperity from one generation to the next.
At ReGENERATION Partners, we’ve been in your shoes. And we’ve succeeded, both in our own businesses and in serving clients worldwide. So we know what works and just as importantly, what doesn’t. Unlike traditional business consultants who can only help with selected aspects of family-owned business, we’re experts in the interrelated systems of both the family and the business. As a result, we see the big picture. And you realize solutions.